Planning to have a family or a child with the help of donor sperm is a big decision. You can go for Sperm Donation if you are a single woman, a lesbian couple, or struggling with male infertility and wish to conceive. It is a common factor, and today, many people consider sperm donation to experience parenthood.
Everything You Need to Know About Sperm Donation
Sperm Donation | How it is Work | Why Consider | Prepare | Screening | Treatment | Risk
What is Sperm Donation?Sperm Donation is the process where a male gender provides his sperm to another couple or person. The overall process of collecting and donating semen to a person or couple is sperm donation. The semen collected is further stored in a container in a lab environment. Apart from everything, the donor has to meet a complete medical checkup to witness any risk or problems before donating the sperm. Therefore, every donor should acquire knowledge regarding psychological, emotional, and legal issues regarding semen donation. Once sperms are ready, they are then either used in in vitro fertilization or intrauterine insemination. The donation is known as a directed donation when the Sperm Donor is known to the receiver, although it can also be anonymous.
In Vitro Fertilization
In vitro fertilization is a modern reproductive procedure. We use it to treat infertility and help couples in conceiving. During IVF, developed eggs are extracted from ovaries and fertilized by sperm in a laboratory.
In Vitro Maturation
In-vitro maturation, or IVM, is an assisted reproductive technology (ART). The original procedure of oocyte IVM has been accessible since the 1990s; however, doctors rarely use it due to IVF viewing better returns.
Laser Assisted Hatching
By creating a hole in the zona pellucida membrane (the outermost layer of the embryo’s shell), a technique known as laser-assisted hatching
IVF failure is the most common thing as unfortunately; IVF treatment cannot provide you success. An IVF failure can be the most frustrating thing ever for you and your partner.
Sperm Donation is the process where a male gender provides his sperm to another couple or person. The overall process of collecting and donating semen to a person or couple is sperm donation.
Repeated Implantation Failure
At the time of transferring embryos with the help of In Vitro Fertilization when the embryos fail to get transplanted, it can be then considered as the Implantation Failure.
Preimplantation Genetic Testing
A woman who faces infertility or recurrent pregnancy loss, that woman is chronic to the chromosomal abnormalities in the embryo.
Women’s ovaries produce gametes known as ova or ovum. These immature egg cells become mature ovum during a menstrual cycle.
Oligo Astheno Teratozoospermia
Oligo-Astheno-teratozoospermia (OAT) is a condition that leads to a low sperm count. This condition does not include anyone kind of disorder but can be divided into three disorders.
After you conceive a baby through IVF, you could uncover a circumstance that suggests more embryos than you are known. In such situations, you can either store them for the future or can discard them.
Sperm Freezing & Vitrification
Another name for sperm is spermatozoon which is in a plural form known as spermatozoa. This is a male reproductive cell, produced by the male gender animals.
Embryos Freezing & Vitrification
The embryo is defined as the early stage of development of a multicellular organism that is reproduced sexually. In simple terms, Embryo is an organism that has not totally developed and is in the previous stage of growth and differentiation.
Microsurgical Testicular Sperm Extraction commonly known as Micro-TESE is a surgical procedure that is performed to retrieve sperm from the male testicles seminiferous tubules.
Endometrial Receptivity Analysis
ERA or Endometrial Receptivity Analysis is a genetic test to evaluate endometrial lining. Only a developed endometrial lining accepts embryos and increases the implantation chances.
How does Sperm Donation Work?
Sperm Donation works with the help of Donor Insemination (DI) or IVF. In DI, we transport the sperm into the uterus via a thin plastic tube placed into the Cervix and extending into her womb.
In in Vitro fertilization, we leave these sperms and eggs together in the lab: so that they fertilize and form embryos. We then transfer these embryos to the uterus.
Why should you consider Sperm Donation?
Sperm Donation provides an individual or a couple the happiness of conceiving a baby. The people who face difficulties having a baby can use the donation process.
If you are a single woman or a couple experiencing male infertility, then; you can choose sperm donation. You need to consult an IVF specialist and choose the best option.
12+ Years of Experience as
Sexologist and Infertility Specialist
12+ Years of Experience as
Sexologist and Infertility Specialist
How can you prepare for a Sperm Donation?Sperm donation needs patients to be both psychologically and physically prepared. The person who is thinking of donating sperm should know about the aspects before donating the semen. He should understand that he will be the biological father and may not meet the children in life. Moreover, there are several situations where the children may want to meet the biological father in future. Everything depends on how the donor decides. He should also discuss the procedure with the spouse or family. Furthermore, if the individual is a family member, it is critical to discuss and comprehend the legal concerns. In several cases, the man donating the sperm should hire a lawyer to prepare a legal contract to inform everything about the parental, financial, and obligations. The whole sperm donation procedure is risk-free. There remains a minimum amount of stress that goes after consultation.
Preparation before the Donation:
Some things a person should consider before performing the donation and the things include the following:
- Before performing the surgery, the doctor will perform a complete physical examination test in the medical history, including age, weight, height, past surgeries, allergies, and medications. The inspection covers the past personal history and family background for any illness, heart problems, diabetes, or other serious concerns.
- The doctor will also advise individuals to take some tests beforehand blood tests and other investigations. The doctor suggests this to make sure that the specialist notices any issue.
ScreeningBefore a person may become a sperm donor, the food and medicine administration needs fundamental testing of infectious conditions and specific risk factors. Certain states and municipal administrations require further vetting.
The American Society for Reproductive Medicine recommends this screening for guys who wish to give sperm, as well as those who know beneficiaries:
- Age: Most sperm banks need donors between 18 and 39 years of age. Certain sperm banks set a maximum age of 34.
- Body Test: The checkup will entail obtaining blood and urine samples to screen for infectious illnesses like HIV. If you decide to become a regular sperm donor, you will have physical checkups every six months while donating sperm. In addition, you should report any changes to your health.
- Semen Test: Several samples of your sperm will be required. You’ll probably be requested to refrain from ejaculation — either through intercourse or masturbation — for at least 48-72 hours before giving each sample. The samples will assess sperm quantity, quality, and motility.
- Genetic Testing: A sample of your blood will discover if you are a carrier of any hereditary diseases. Ask specific sperm banks for tests since some banks do a more comprehensive test than others.
- Family Medical History: Details on the medical history of at least two generations in your family must be provided. A history suggesting that there is an inherited condition may prohibit you from sperm donation.
- Psychological evaluation: You may probably be asked if your data is being shared or regarding future contact with your biological children. You will have to talk about your relationship with your recipient if you donate your sperm to a relative. If you have a partner, it might also be useful to advise them.
- Personal and sexual history: To indicate if you have risk factors for getting an infectious disease, for example, HIV, you need to submit a thorough history of your sexual behaviours, drug usage, and other personal data. You will be asked for detailed information about your habits, education, hobbies, and interests. You may be requested to supply yourself with images, videos, or sound recordings.
Explain the treatment procedure of Sperm Donation?
The donor has to provide an amount of semen either through ejaculation or through sex, but this should be done 2-5 days before performing the donation process. To understand the treatment, you need to understand the procedure that is conducted in the following way:
- The whole donation process happens at the Sperm Bank.
- The donor first goes to a private room, and with the help of ejaculation, he puts the semen inside the sterile container with a lid.
- Furthermore, the collected semen is then handed over or placed in a safe special environment.
During the Procedure
The donation of sperm at a sperm bank is normally done. In a sterile cup, you will supply a semen sample by masturbating in a private room.
After the Procedure
- The sperm sample is covered properly and preserved in a frozen or cryopreserved way. This sample can be stored for 180 days in quarantine. In addition, the quality of the sperm will be checked and all types of infectious diseases will be determined.
- The sperm sample will be evaluated again for the quantity, movement, and quality when the sperm will be normal and good in condition.
- If all the criteria of the sample of the sperm get a no-objection certificate, then the person can further become a successful sperm donor.
Sperm donation does not include any health concerns.
It’s always the word of mouth that’s the best advice
Being a doctor myself, I was looking for a Gynaecologist who understands my concerns and solves it so easily that my non-doctor husband understands it well. Dr. Ramit is very compassionate and is really good at his skills. I would highly recommend him.
Doctor is very friendly & attentive. Listens to you gives you plenty of time. one stop solutions for all diagnostics. All the test samples are collected at clinic only, Dr. Ramit Kamte is very compassionate and is really good at his skills. I would highly recommend him.
Google Written Reviews
Dr. Ramit Raosaheb Kamate
MBBS ,DNB, DGO, FRM (UK)
Dr. Ramit Kamate is a Reproductive Medicine Consultant and Sexologist with experience of 12+ years. He specialises in Sexual Medicine for male and female, Fertility Treatment, Pre and Post Delivery Care, Normal Vaginal Delivery (NVD), Tubectomy/Tubal Ligation, Natural Cycle IVF, MTP.
Dr. Ramit Kamate finished MBBS from B J Medical College, Pune. He pursued Masters’s In Reproductive Medicine from Hamilton University, UK & IBCME Dubai. Completed Fellowship in Cosmetic Gynaecology and Sexual Medicine from USA.
MBBS DGO DNB Gold Medalist
Fellow In Sexual Medicine (USA)
Fellow In Reproductive Medicine
Fellow In Cosmetic Gynecology (USA)
Fellow In Ultrasound And Laparoscopy
Fellow In Stem Cell Medicine
Along with treating our patients, we also guide them with the help of our educational blogs and videos.
What are the Dos and Don’ts after Embryo Transfer?
What are the Dos and Don’ts after Embryo Transfer?IVF and other forms of embryo transfer can take...
Five Signs You Should Consult a Male Fertility Specialist
Five Signs You Should Consult a Male Fertility SpecialistMale infertility is less evident but more...
Symptoms of pregnancy after successful IUI
Symptoms of Pregnancy after Successful IUINot everyone is able to conceive naturally and that too...
15 Foods To Avoid When Pregnant
Pregnancy के दौरान diet बहुत important है। हर महिला को अपने diet पर ध्यान देना चाहिए और कुछ ऐसे खाद्य पदार्थ है जो नहीं खाने चाहिए (Pregnancy diet)। आज इस video में डॉ Ramit Kamate बताते है की pregnancy के दौरान कोन से food items नहीं खाने चाहिए।
शीघ्रपतन का इलाज
जब patient हमारे पास आता है और उसे Premature Ejaculation की समस्या होती है तो हम कुछ tests करते है जैसे blood tests, sonography of penis और doppler of penis।
Hymen क्या होता है?
Hymen एक thin membrane है जो vaginal opening पर मौजूद होती है। ये अक्सर first time sexual intercourse करने पर फट जाती है और bleeding हो सकती है।